Silicon Valley Leader Implementing Comprehensive Archiving Solution–Covering Text Messages, Email and Social Media–To Meet Transparency, Recordkeeping Challenges
PORTLAND, Ore. and SUNNYVALE, Calif., October 24, 2017 – Smarsh®, providing comprehensive information archiving solutions for compliance, e-discovery and risk management, announced that the City of Sunnyvale, California, is elevating government transparency with its selection of Smarsh as its partner for archiving electronic communications.
With The Archiving Platform from Smarsh, the City of Sunnyvale will extend and strengthen the efficiency of its public records retention and oversight program by archiving text messaging, email and social media in a consolidated, secure repository. Content can be actively searched and produced on-demand for public records requests, investigations, e-discovery and litigation events, and more.
“We are looking forward to partnering with Smarsh to implement a comprehensive solution that ensures Sunnyvale continues to comply thoroughly and efficiently with the California Public Records Act [CPRA] for all electronic communications, including text messages and social media,” said Kathleen Boutté Foster, Chief Information Officer, City of Sunnyvale. “The Archiving Platform from Smarsh gives us the technology we need to manage our records life cycle for electronic communications, and will empower our Human Resources department and Attorney’s Office to conduct records searches without IT involvement.”
With today’s expanding electronic communications landscape, government agencies have more ways to communicate and collaborate. However, the proliferation of public records in the form of electronic communications has created unique retention and oversight challenges. These records must be retained and accessible to ensure compliance with the rigorous standards of state (such as the CPRA) and local open-records requirements. Failure to maintain and secure complete and precise records leaves agencies vulnerable to legal, financial and security risks. The Archiving Platform from Smarsh provides the City of Sunnyvale with industry-leading technology specifically designed to meet these compliance challenges.
“Where some state and local governments are living in a paper-centric world, or avoiding the realities of their electronic recordkeeping requirements, the City of Sunnyvale’s leadership and commitment to transparency and accountability stands out,” said Stephen Marsh, Smarsh CEO.
With The Archiving Platform from Smarsh, the City of Sunnyvale will be able to:
- Capture, index, and search public records in the form of employee email, text messages, and social media (LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter) posts
- Capture text messages on employer-provided mobile devices (directly from Verizon), as well as business communications on personal mobile devices
- Search across all archived communications and review fully threaded conversations to see the context of messages, updates, comments, and more in one consolidated destination in The Archiving Platform from Smarsh
- Empower the business users to conduct searches directly and no longer require the help from IT to gather data for them
- Leverage a full supervision audit trail that tracks each review session within The Archiving Platform, and actions taken on specific messages
- Escalate and tag archived content based on cases, events or topics
- Export only necessary data in multiple formats securely and directly to outside counsel or third-party e-discovery providers during litigation events
Gov.smarsh.com – Archiving Solutions for the Public Sector
Smarsh has launched a new microsite at gov.smarsh.com with solutions specifically designed to help public sector agencies at the local, state and federal level meet their obligations for the retention and oversight of electronic communications, such as text messaging and social media. These electronic public records must be retained and accessible to meet the challenges of the Freedom of Information Act and other open-records laws, as well as to support e-discovery initiatives. For more information, visit gov.smarsh.com.
Smarsh® delivers a comprehensive and integrated stack of information archiving applications and services that help companies protect themselves and manage risk. Its centralized platform provides a unified compliance and e-discovery workflow across the entire range of digital communications, including email, social media, websites, instant messaging, mobile text messaging and voice. Founded in 2001, Smarsh helps more than 20,000 organizations meet regulatory compliance, e-discovery and record retention requirements. The company is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, with offices in New York City, Boston, Raleigh, N.C. and London.
Lumina Communications for Smarsh, Inc.